|Businesses in Torpenhow||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Torpenhow (pronounced by the locals as Trup-en-ah) is a small village set amongst farmland on Binsey fells northern slopes. The pen, tor and how in its name all mean hill in different languages.
A village hall, completed in 2003, hosts strawberry teas, barbecues, and social evenings among many other events. In the later part of the 19th century a village school was founded. This closed in the 20th century. A mission hall was built in 1885 but is now a private dwelling. At one time there were a number of village shops, pubs, and other services to take care of the needs of the farmers and later the miners who lived in the village. These have since closed.
The village is home to a church of special interest, St Michaels. The churchs architecture spans the time period from the late Norman through the 17th century with restoration occurring in 1882 and 1913. Some of the masonry is thought to come from a Roman station at Old Carlisle.
Large buttresses on two of the churchs sides frame the wide, low building. A Norman door is located at the south entrance porch while the chancels north windows date from the same period. In the east wall is a window with c1300 tracery. The north transept dates from the same time period.
Three arcade bays date from c1170. The bellcote is thought to be 17th century. The corbels supporting the chancel arch represent good and evil: the north side represents evil and is of dark red sandstone while the south side is of light sandstone and denotes goodness.
They are covered with carvings of human and animal figures that include a hippopotamus.
The ceiling of the nave, from a London livery company hall, is painted with garlands and cupids (faded) and was installed in 1689, having been donated by Thomas Addison. The pulpit is Jacobean, and the font is Norman sitting on a 15th century shaft. Grave slabs rest against the west wall.
Torpenhow is located on a minor road off the A595 just north of its intersection with the A591 at Bothel.
© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.