Businesses in Torver Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Torver

(See also Coniston , Coniston Water)

Torver village street courtesy of Graeme DougalTorver is a small hamlet near Coniston and Coniston Water. It's best known as a starting point for exploring the nearby countryside and for fell walks up Coniston Old Man and into the Duddon Valley, one of Wordsworth's favourites.

Torver Church House Inn courtesy of Graeme DougalWaterfalls, wildlife, and spectacular countryside abound. Prehistoric man found the moors surrounding the area amenable and settled here. The Torver Commons are criss-crossed with paths that lead to hidden tarns and give glimpses of Coniston Water. Nearby Goat's Water, a tarn, is a popular fishing spot. By car the eastern shore of Coniston Water and the Wrynose Pass are close at hand.

Torver Wilson Arms pub courtesy of Graeme DougalOriginally a Norse settlement, Torver received its name from the Norse word for turf. A path led through the hamlet from Furness Abbey and was used by the monks. The route served as a section of a corpse road leading to Ulverston. Torver was also a staging post for a pack horse trail over the Walna Scar pass to the Duddon Valley.

Torver Railway Cottage courtesy of Graeme DougalThe hamlet remained somewhat a backwater until, in 1859, the Furness Railway ran its tracks to the village to carry slate and stone from the nearby quarries. The railway built the ‘Green Cottages’ (named after the colour of their stone) to house workers. A 14th century inn and a pub offer modern amenities for the visitor.

Torver St Lukes Church courtesy of Graeme DougalFarming was an early enterprise in Torvor's vicinity, and the Herdwick sheep were more populous than people. St Luke's Church in Torver was built by Paley and Austin in 1883-84 and replaced a church built in 1849 on the site of a 12th century chapel.

Overlooking Coniston Water amid breathtaking Lakeland scenery, Torver still retains its quiet country charm.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal

Torver is 2 miles southwest of Coniston on the A593 at its junction with the A5084

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.