Businesses in Uldale Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Uldale

Uldale village street by Graeme DougalUldale overlooks the River Ellen in an isolated area on the northern edge of the Lake District National Park. High above are the sheep-friendly, grass covered hills of the Uldale Fells and Common: Green How, Mickle Rigg, Longlands Fell, Lowthwaite Fell, Great Cockup, Meal Fell, Little Sca Fell, and Great Sca Fell.

Uldale Mikes-Eye Gallery by Graeme DougalA 9th century Norse-Irish settlement existed here. The name Uldale comes from the Norse and means wolfs Dalewolves once roamed the fells here in abundance.

Uldale was a sheep farming area in medieval times, and in 1791 a sheep fair wasestablished in the village. Abandoned copper and limestone quarries Uldale Snooty Fox pub by Graeme Dougalgive evidence of the 19th century mining in the area between the village and Caldbeck. An 1895 school is now a tearoom and gallery. The Snooty Fox is a typical village pub.

Outside the village proper sits the whitewashe St James Church. First built in the 12th century on the site of the Uldale St James Church exterior by Graeme Dougaloriginal village, it experienced rebuilding in 1730. A stained glass window enhances the chancel, which was enlarged in 1837. The church has an exterior two-belled tower.

Although another church, St Mary, was later constructed in the present village, it fell into disrepair and soon disappeared from the village landscape. In 1869 a Victorian Gothic church, St Johns, was built in Uldale, but its structure was unsound. It was demolished in 1963.

Uldale St James Churchlychgate by Graeme DougalUldale was the setting of Davids House in Sir Hugh Walpoles Herries Chronicle. Indeed, much of the village and its surroundings feature in two other novels, Judith Paris and The Fortress. Huntsman John Peel spent the latter part of his life here after marrying an Uldale girl, Mary White.

The remains of a Roman camp are a mile away Uldale village street by Graeme Dougal at Aughertree on the fell common land. Here too are threeIron Age farm enclosures on the fellside. One has circular house foundations. A mound here yielded burial urns. A drovers road brought cattle and sheep from the surrounding fields to the common.

Uldale St James Church bells by Graeme DougalUldale remains true to its historical roots. Dairy cows are part of the village scene, and haymaking still takes place on the village green. Fox hunting and hound trailing follow old traditions.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal


Uldale is off the B5299, 7 miles south of Wigton and 4 miles northeast of Bassenthwaite Lake.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.