|Businesses in Vickerstown||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Vickerstown was built as a company village in 1898-1901 by the Barrow Docks for its workers. Many of the houses were designed as terraced ones.
In 1908 a bridge was constructed between Walney Island and the mainland. In the 1950s the houses were sold to private individuals.
Before WWII the town saw various improvements including a theatre and swimming pool. Vickerstown, as a suburb of Barrow-in-Furness, has a primary school, small hotel, and many other local businesses.
Vickerstown on Walney Island.
© 1997 - 2016 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.