Businesses in Waberthwaite Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Waberthwaite

(See also Muncaster Castle , the Ravenglass)

Waberthwaite Richard Woodall grocers by Tony Richards Lakeland CamWaberthwaite consists of a few scattered cottages and farms. It was a favourite hunting ground in prehistory due to the many remains found. The nearby Roman fort at Ravenglass lies on the other side of the river Esk. In more modern times Waberthwaite played host to quarrying until World War II. The quarry is now a designated SSSI (site of special scientific interest).

Waberthwaite church by Matthew Emmot  Castle BlogThe church of St John the Evangelist sits by itself near the river's estuary. It is thought to be Norman with 16th/17th century additions to the east. In the late 18th century a double bellcot was added. The west window is 15th century while the others are 16th or 17th. In the interior are box pews and a 1630 pulpit. Oil lamps were eventually electrified. There is a two metre high carved Saxon cross-shaft in the churchyard.

Waberthwaite church bell by Matthew Emmot  Castle BlogThe village has a local pub. Beaches, coastal walks, and Muncaster fell are among the area's attractions. Muncaster Castle and the Ravenglass miniature railway are others.

Photos courtesy of Matthew Emmott , Tony Richards


Waberthwaite is located two miles south-east of Ravenglass. The church is signed from the A595 two miles south of Muncaster castle.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.