Businesses in Walton Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Walton

Walton Village Green by Anna RutherfordWalton, on the river Irthing, is in Cumbrias north-east just a few miles from Hadrians Wall. It is on the national Hadrians Wall path, an 84 mile path sign-posted from Wallsend to Bowness-on-Solway. Farming was the main commercial activity in the area.

The manor of Walton was given to the abbey of Lanercost by Robert de Vallibus, who founded the abbey. When the monasteries were dissolved, it was granted to Thomas Dacre and remained until 1789 in the same family. At this time it was sold to John Johnson and eventually descended to F. P. Johnson of Castlesteads. Castlesteads is a mansion built in the 18th century on the site of a Roman station, Cambeck.

Walton Centurion Inn by Charles LeventonThe small village has an attractive green. Fifteen lime trees were planted in the village centre to honour Queen Victorias jubilee. The local pub is the Centurion (No longer open and does not look like it will be in the future). The village hall, built in 1859, was once a school. Another building of note is the Roman house, a cruck framed cottage.

Walton St Marys Church by John CharltonSt Marys church dates from 1869-70 and was built by Paley in the gothic style. There is a chancel, nave, north aisle, porch, and tower shaped like a pyramid. The church has a three light stained glass window in the chancel and a second two light window. A primitive Methodist church (no longer functioning as such) was built in 1858.

Photos courtesy of Anna Rutherford , Charles Leventon , John Charlton The Geograph Britain and Ireland project.


Walton is located on a minor road 2.5 miles north of Brampton, which is on the A689 east of Carlisle.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.