|Businesses in Warwick Bridge||Towns and Villages of Cumbria|
Warwick Bridge is named after the bridge spanning the river Eden. It was built in 1837 using three segmental arches. Its history includes the gathering of the Jacobites in November 1745 prior to their attack on Carlisle. The village has a primary school.
Warwick Hall, sitting in 260 acres of fields and woods, was once owned by the Liddle family. It’s a 20th century building done in the neo-Georgian style. An 1828 building once occupied the site but burned down in 1936. The stables at the hall are original Georgian.
Nearby Grade II listed Holme Eden Hall dates from 1837 and copied the Tudor mansion style of architecture. The house has an unusual feature: it copies the calendar with 365 windows, 52 chimneys, 12 passageways, 7 entrances, and 4 storeys. The Dixon family who amassed their money from cotton hired architect John Dobson to build the hall. The hall later served as a Benedictine nun convent. As time passed it became derelict but was restored and turned into luxury apartments.
The village has two churches: St Pauls at Holme Eden and the Catholic Our Lady and St Wilfred. The first was built in 1845 in the neo-Norman style while the later was built by Pugin in the gothic style and dates from 1841. St Pauls is of red sandstone with a slate roof. It has a nave, chancel, vestry, and 110-foot high spire over the entrance porch. Both the west and east ends have stained glass windows. The church interior was extensively renovated in 1904.
The village also boasts a Grade II listed tower, Toppin Castle, part of a farmhouse complex. The four storey square tower, sporting a battlemented parapet, dates from the 19th century and is constructed of red sandstone.
Warwick Bridge is located on the A69 four miles east of Carlisle and junction 43 of the M6.
© 1997 - 2013 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.