Businesses in Westnewton Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Westnewton

Westnewton main street by Alexander P KappWestnewton is strung out along the road on which it sits. Cottages and houses date mostly from the 19th century, although Yew Tree Farm reaches back to 1672.

The church of St Matthew was built in 1857.

A Roman fort was located on the village site and later a large manor home sat at the villages west end. It is thought to be the seat of the de Newton family from 1130 until 1327. Now only earthworks remain covering the former building remnants.Westnewton St Matthew Church by Alexander P Kapp

Westnewton is a traditional Solway farming village.

Photos courtesy of Alexander P Kapp


Westnewton is located on the B5301, 1.5 miles north of Aspatria.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.