Businesses in Windermere Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Windermere

(See also Bowness-on-Windermere , Windermere Steamboat and Museum , Holehird Gardens)

Windermere main road by Alexander P KappThe town of Windermere was only a scattering of homes until 1847 when a railway came to the area and terminated here. The rail station was named Windermere, and the village obligingly changed its name from Birthwaite (meaning ‘clearing in the birches’) to match that of the station. The railroad brought hoards of holidaying Victorians to the lake. Windermere new station by John LomasHotels and guesthouses, built of the local stone and slate, followed. The Windermere Hotel, built in 1847 specifically for rail travellers, was ideally sited opposite the station. The town became such a popular destination that it was listed in an 1860 guidebook. Today, many of the former wealthy Victorians' homes are hotels and lodging houses.

Windermere from School Knott by Jeanne and RickSchool Knott, east of Windermere, provides a good spot for panoramic countryside vistas. Orrest Head (c750 ft high), opposite the rail station, is an ideal place to view the central fells, the Yorkshire Pennines, and the lakes.

Wordsworth wrote a poem about the view from Orrest Head:

Standing alone, as from a rampart's edge, I over looked the bed of Windermere, Like a vast river stretching in the sun. . . . .

The railroad never continued through the Lake District, partly due to Wordsworth. Although he loved the area himself, he didn't wish to share it with others and used his influence to help terminate the rail line at Windermere. He wrote:

“Is there no nook of English ground secure,
From rash assault? . . . .
. . . .How can this blight endure. . . .

Windermere St Marys Church by Alexander P KappThere are two churches in the town: St John the Evangelist and St Mary's, which has some Victorian stained glass windows.

Holehird Gardens, 1½ miles from Windermere, sit on a hillside at the southern end of Troutbeck valley. The ten acres of gardens, located on the grounds of a grade II listed building-now the Leonard Cheshire Home for the Disabled-provide spectacular views Windermere Holehird Gardens by Peter Smylyacross the lake to the fells beyond. A walled kitchen garden, rock garden, orchard, heathers and shrubs make for a peaceful stroll. The garden has a national collection of astilbes, hydrangeas and polystichum ferns. The gardens are run by the Lakeland Horticultural Society.

Windermere, a mile from the lake of the same name, is not as popular as its neighbor, Bowness-on-Windermere, but has its own charms as a Lakeland get-away.

Photos courtesy of Jeanne and Rick and Alexander P Kapp , Peter Smyly , John Lomas The Geograph Britain and Ireland project.

Travelling to Windermere: During the busy season, don't take the main A591. You will end up in a slowly moving line of traffic on the highway. Instead take the less travelled A5074 or B5284. Buses and the railroad run to the town. 7 miles (11km) NW of Kendal

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2014 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Content