Businesses in Winton Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Winton

(See also the village of Winton Hall)

Winton village street by Graeme DougalWinton, whose name means pasture farmland, is a hamlet with stone houses sitting around a triangular green. The Earl of Thanet was lord of the manor here, but the Earl of Lonsdale also owned part of the land around the village.

There are a number of old buildings in the Winton Manor School rebuilt 1826 by Graeme Dougalvillage. A school was opened in 1659 (rebuilt 1826) on the village green. Another building, Winton Manor House, located in the village centre, was built in 1726 and served as a boys school. Winton Hall was built in 1665.

There was no church in the hamlet, so coffins were carried along a corpse road over the Winton Baptist and Methodist Church by Graeme DougalCorpse Bridge that spans Hartley Beck.

Two distinguished village sons were Dr. Langhorne, a writer, and his brother, William Langhorne, a prebendary in Wells Cathedral.

North of the village are long, narrow fields, echoing the medieval division of individual Winton Bay Horse Inn by Graeme Dougalownership. Red grouse inhabit nearby Winton Fells heather-covered hills.

The Winton Sheepdog Trials are held on the 3rd Saturday in June.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal


Winton is located one mile northeast of Kirkby Stephen, off the A685.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.