Businesses in Witherslack Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Witherslack

Witherslack Hall Tower among the trees courtesy Leaney Lakes District WalksWhitbarrow Scar (700 feet high) looks down on Witherslack. Below the south Lakeland village is the river Winster. In the village is an old inn, the Derby Arms, the seat of a manor court, held by the earl of Derby, before the mid 1800s. Associated with the village are two famous brothers, one a physician to Charles II, the other a dean of St Pauls cathedral. Witherslack Hall is an equestrian centre. A school for boys is in the village and also a shop/post office.

Witherslack St Pauls church courtesy Matthew EmmottThe plain gothic church of St Pauls dates back to c1669 and owes its construction to the dean of St Pauls at the time. He was born in the village and ordered the building of the church. The church has one chamber, a west tower, and south porch. It was changed in 1768 when the roof and windows were raised. The sanctuary is divided by a coved ceiling and Ionic columns, added in 1768. The east window is five stepped lights and contains some 17th century glass. Panels dated c1670 are on the lectern, and pieces of the original three decker pulpit of the same period are used in the pulpit. The former vicarage is a hotel and restaurant.Witherslack St Pauls church interior courtesy Matthew Emmott

Photos courtesy of Andrew Leaney , Matthew Emmott




Witherslack is located off the A590 east of Newby Bridge in south Cumbria.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.