November 18, 2017

Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Wythop Mill

Wythop Mill by Jim BartonWythop Mills name is thought to come from the wyth or willow tree, many having grown here in the past.

Wythops mill dates from 1327 and was a fulling mill at that time. Later it served time as a corn mill, then was devoted to woodworking. The mill machinery was powered by an overshot wheel. It is now in private ownership.Wythop Hall farm viewed from edge of Wythop-wood by Philip Halling

Wythop Hall, built in 1678, is near the site of a long gone manor house, dated 1318. The early manor once belonged to the Lucy family, then to the Lowthers and Fletchers.

The ruins of St Margarets chapel (near Kelsick farm) date from 1673. It was plain inside and out. An 1865-66 church, a mile distant on Sale fell, took its place. The altar cross is made Wythop Churchof St Mary by Barbara Ballardfrom a piece of wood from the old church. In the church are memorials to the local Vane family. Two of the stained glass windows are by Charles Kemp.

Photos by Barbara Ballard and courtesy of Jim Barton , Philip Halling The Geograph Britain and Ireland project.


Wythop Mill is located on a minor road south of the A66 near Bassenthwaite Lake.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2017 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.