Kirkandrews-upon-Esk Church

KirkAndrews on Esk kirkandrews church by Steve BulmanKirkandrews-upon-Esk Church is named after St Andrew and the river Esk beside which it sits. It is the estate church belonging to Netherby Hall. The red sandstone, ashlar faced church was constructed in 1776 using a rectangular design. On the west tower is a clock with an open, columned rotunda, which is capped with a stone. The west doorway is Tucson with two pediments. On the east wall are two niches.

KirkAndrews on Esk kirkandrews church courtesy Steve BulmanIn the interior the Italian style was used to create the screen and reredos. They are in green and gold. The four stained glass windows found in the nave were added in 1893 when the church was re-done. They are copies of 15th century styles.

A freestone quarry is located a mile from the church.

Kirkandrews-upon-Esk is two miles north-east of Longtown near the Scottish border.

Photos courtesy of Steve Bulman

Back To Abbeys Monasteries and Churches in Cumbria

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2019 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us