St Mary and St Michael Church (Great Urswick)

Great Urswick church hall by Graeme DougalSt Mary and St Michael church dates from the 13th century and occupies a site near Urswick tarn that has been used for worship for 1000 years. The church was extended a century later and has windows dating from that period. It was restored in 1908 with a new copy of an earlier window. The tower is late medieval with possibly some original 13th century parts. There is a Georgian west galley.

Great Urswick St Maryand St Michael church tiered pulpit by Graeme DougalIn the church are high quality wood carvings most made by Cotswold's Campden Guild in the late 19th century and early 20th century. A 13th century coffin lid can be found in the church. Also of note are Saxon cross fragments and a Viking cross complete with runic inscriptions. The pulpit is a three decker one. The font dates from the 12th century and has carved cover. There is a painting, done in the 1700s, of the last supper by a Cumbrian artist.

Great Urswick StMaryandSt Michael church font by Graeme DougalThe church holds a rush-bearing ceremony at the end of September.

Location:
Urswick is located on minor roads off the A590 near Dalton-in-Furness.

Photos courtesy Graeme Dougal

Back To Abbeys Monasteries and Churches in Cumbria

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2019 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us