St Ninian Church (Brougham)

(See also Brougham , Brougham Castle , Brougham Hall)

There are two churches located near Brougham Castle and Brougham Hall: the church of St Ninian (Ninekirk) and St Wilfred's chapel. Both felt the restoration hand of Lady Anne Clifford, a strong-willed, independent woman who inherited the castle and surrounding land.

Brougham St Ninian by Stu MuckleySt Ninian's, by the river Eamont, was built where a Saxon church once stood. Lady Anne restored it in 1660 in the gothic style of architecture. The long low sandstone building is a single chamber with round-headed single light windows and a bellcote. Inside the floors are stone and the walls are white. Other features are diagonal corner buttresses, two south doors, one with a porch added in 1841, and two windows in both the west and east walls. The roof is supported by collar-beams on long arched braces. The font, pews, screen, benches, pulpit, communion rail, and poor box all date from the 1660s.

Brougham St Wilfreds Church by Alexander P KappSt Wilfred's chapel, located south-west of Brougham Hall, was restored by Lady Anne in 1658. It became the local parish church. The church has a double bellcote. The church was remodelled in 1840, and 16th and 17th century carved woodwork was added from other places. This included a screen, stalls (15th century with canopies), and part of an altarpiece. There is an original font and pulpit. Features include buttresses and pointed window lights. The triptych originally in the chapel was moved to Carlisle cathedral.Brougham The Countess Pillar by Steve Terry

Between the churches is the famous Countess pillar, Lady Anne's memorial to her mother. It dates from 1656.

Brougham's churches are located two miles south-east of Penrith on the B6262 off the A66. Access to St Ninian's via signposted footpath across fields from the road. Access to St Wilfred's chapel via gate in wall from B6262.

Photos courtesy of Stu Muckley , Alexander P Kapp , Steve Terry.

Back To Abbeys Monasteries and Churches in Cumbria

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2019 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us