St Peters Martindale New Church

(See also Martindale , St Martin’s Martindale Old Church)

St Peters church Martindale by Nick GreenMartindales new church was built in 1880 to take the place of Martindale Old Church, which was showing its more than 200 year old age--in 1882 the roof of the Old Church collapsed. Constructed in the early English style, it is larger than the one room Old Church as it has a nave, chancel, bell turret, porch, and vestry. The modern style stained glass in the windows is much later, dating from 1975 (except for the earlier east window).

St Peters church inside Martindal by Rick MartindaleThe church lies on the narrow far side of Ullswater between Hallin Fell and Bonscale Pike. It is very scenic and it’s worth a drive or a walk around the area.

Martindale New Church is located at the far end of Ullswater on a minor road off the B5320; follow the minor road along the lake to the signs that designate the New Church.

Photos courtesy Nick Green , Rick Martindale.

Back To Abbeys Monasteries and Churches in Cumbria

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2019 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us