Bew Castle

(See also Bewcastle)

Bew Castle by Steve BulmanSituated north of Hadrian's Wall, Bew Castle was built in the northeast corner of what was the Roman fort of Banna. Following the Roman occupation, the Anglo-Saxons moved into the area. The Vikings soon followed.

The rectangular castle was named Beuth's Castle after the Scandinavian who built it in the late 11th century. A high, thick curtain wall, ditches, and outer rampart served it well in its role as an important defensive post during the border wars between Scotland and England. The Warden of the Western March used it as his headquarters during the 14th century. Succeeding years saw its ownership pass through a number of families.

The castle was decayed by the early 15th century when Edward IV granted it to his brother, the Duke of Gloucester. The buildings were repaired, and the gatehouse was possibly added at this time. Bew Castle was destroyed by Cromwell in 1641. The remains consist of a small part of the south wall walk and bits of the west side and its single tower. The gate into castle was unusual in that it was at right angles to the entrance.

Bewcastle is located 9 miles north of Brampton on a minor road off the B6318.

Castle remains on private land, Demesne Farm. View from nearby footpath only.

Photo courtesy of Steve Bulman

Back To Castles in Cumbria

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2019 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us