Pendragon Castle

Pendragon Castle by Graeme DougalThe ruinous Pendragon Castle and its late 12th century keep sit on a mound near the River Eden's east bank. A ditch crossed by causeways protected the castle. The ruins of the 209 square foot tower show that the walls were up to 14 feet thick in places. Remnants of spiral stairs, latrines, turrets, and chambers give other clues to the castle layout.

Pendragon Castle courtesy of Graeme DougalThere were several castles built on the site. Hugh de Morville built the first stone castle here. The castle came into the Clifford family in the early 1300's, and Robert de Clifford did much rebuilding in 1309. In 1341 the Scots burned the castle, and it was abandoned.

Rebuilt in 1360, it was occupied until an Pendragon Castle courtesy of Graeme Dougalaccidental fire burned it in 1541. The castle lay in ruins until 1660 when it was restored by Lady Anne Clifford. By 1680 it was again in ruins, having been taken apart by the Earl of Thanet, Lady Anne's heir.

In its early days, remote Pendragon Castle was known as Mallerstang because of the nearby pass of the same name. ‘Pendragon’ comes from a fantasy that Pendragon Castle courtesy of Graeme Dougallabeled the castle the home of Uther Pendragon, father of King Arthur.

Pendragon Castle
Off the B6259, north of Outhgill by Castlethwaite.
The castle is not open to the public but can be viewed from the road.

Photos courtesy Graeme Dougal

Back To Castles in Cumbria

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2019 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us