Dove Cottage

(See also Grasmere and Wordsworth Museum)

Dove Cottage by Tony RichardsDove Cottage was the home of William, Mary, and Dorothy Wordsworth from December 1799 to May 1808. It was during his stay at Dove Cottage that Wordsworth's best poetry was written. Samuel Taylor Coleridge was a frequent visitor. After the Wordsworths left Dove Cottage, Thomas De Quincey took over as the tenant.

The house is thought to be early 17th century and served as a small hostelry before becoming a home for the poet. The parlour (the former drinking room of the pub) is panelled in oak with Westmorland slate floors, and a window seat. The room served as a multi purpose one for the Wordsworths, being also used as a dining room and kitchen.

Dove Cottage courtesy of Jonathan and Clare at UK HeritageA panelled room off the parlour was first a bedroom for Dorothy, then a room for Wordsworth after his marriage to Mary in 1802. The three eldest of the Wordsworth children-John, Dora, and Thomas-were born at Dove Cottage.

A larder with a stone slab and slate floor was a buttery during the cottage's pub days. A spring ran under its floor. A kitchen that also served as a laundry sat next to the downstairs bedroom.

Dove Cottage courtesy of Tony RichardsUpstairs is Wordsworth's study where his poetry was set to paper. Another bedroom used by several people, a small room papered in newspaper, and a storage room complete this floor.

The grounds contained a garden and orchard. Roses, honeysuckle, and beans grew up the cottage walls. Wildflowers were collected on the family's rambles and planted around the cottage.

Dove Cottage
Dove Cottage courtesy of Jonathan and Clare at UK HeritageLocated on the A591 near the village of Grasmere.
Wordsworth Trust
Dove Cottage
Wordsworth Museum
Grasmere LA22 9SH
Tel 015394 35544
Fax. 015394 35748
Email: enquries@wordsworth.org.uk
Website: wordsworth.org.uk/visit/dove-cottage.html
Open: March-end Oct, daily, 9:30am-5:30pm; Nov daily, 9.30am-4.30pm; Dec and Feb, Wed-Mon, 9.30am-4.30pm; closed in Jan; closed 24-26 Dec
Tearoom.
Gift shop.
Ticket price includes the Museum and Dove Cottage.

Note: Please check opening times and dates before visiting in case of changes.

Photos courtesy of Tony Richards and Jonathan and Clare

Back To Historic Houses and Buildings Attractions

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us