Kirkandrews Tower

Kirkandrews tower by Walter BaxterKirkandrews Tower was built as a border fortress around 1530-50 by a Thomas Graham. It was sited in the area that both the English and Scottish claimed as their own. The square tower measures 10 metres by 7 metres and has walls over 1½ metres thick. The basement is vaulted. From the south wall entrance a spiral stair rises to two upper stories and an attic. The roof is step gabled.

Kirkandrews Tower is two miles north-east of Longtown near Kirkandrews church.

Photo courtesy of Walter Baxter

Back To Historic Houses and Buildings Attractions

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2019 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us