Rydal Hall

(See also Rydal , St Marys Church)

Rydal Hall and Fountain by Graeme DougalThe present Rydal Hall, a grade II listed building erected in the 16th century, was home to the le Fleming family for 400 years. It began as a farmhouse but was expanded by Daniel le Fleming in the 17th century. The interior has seen much alteration since then, and Victorian designs were made to the facade. A game larder survives. Lady le Fleming who owned Rydal Mount was Wordsworth's landlady from 1813 to 1850.

Rydal Hall from the grounds by Graeme DougalAlthough now owned by the Church of England and used as a church retreat and conference centre, the gardens and grounds are open for visitors. The garden (partly restored) was designed by Thomas Mawson in 1909 and was one of the first to use precast concrete.

Rydal Falls by Graeme DougalIn the garden are native trees and plants and both formal and informal gardens. Of particular note is a 500-year-old sweet chestnut tree measuring 36 feet in diameter. There is a view of Rydal Falls from the grounds, which contain a grotto (closed to public).

Rydal Hall is located at Rydal on the A591, although its postal address is Ambleside, LA22 9LX.
Tel. 015394 32050
Fax. 01539 434887
Email: Bookings@rydalhall.org
Email: rydal@rydalhall.org
Website: www.rydalhall.org
Gardens and grounds May-end Oct, daily; Jan-April weekends.
Youth Centre, teashop, barn, campsite for organized groups.
Schedule of special events, holidays, and retreats on the website.

Note: Please check opening times and dates before visiting in case of changes.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal

Back To Historic Houses and Buildings Attractions

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2020 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Local Weather
Towns and Villages
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us