Rydal Mount

(See also Rydal , St Marys Church , Rydal Water)

Rydal Mount by Barbara BallardRydal Mount was the home of William Wordsworth from 1813 to 1850, when he died. His wife continued to live in the home after his death. He moved here with his wife, Mary, and sister, Dorothy, his children, and his wife's sister, Sara Hutchinson. The house originally was a 16th century farmhouse called ‘Keenes’. It was enlarged in the 1750s with a drawing room and library added.

Rydal Mount by Barbara BallardRydal Mount has changed little since Wordsworth lived in it. The dining room retains its original flagged floor and oak beams. Family bedrooms and Wordsworth's attic study are on view. The house contains portraits, furniture, personal possessions, and first editions of his work. The home now belongs to Wordsworth's descendants.

Rydal Mount garden by Barbara BallardWhile living at Rydal Mount, William held the position of Distributor of Stamps for the county of Westmorland, thus securing some financial stability for the family. After he moved here, Wordsworth spent less time writing about the Lake District. Although half his poems were completed at Rydal Mount, critics say his best work was done at Dove Cottage. He published his Guide through the District of the Lakes in 1820. In 1842 at the age of 73, he became Poet Laureate, succeeding Robert Southey.

Rydal Mount gardens and distant view of house courtesy Barbara BallardThe four-acre garden is still as Wordsworth designed it. Fellside terraces, lawns, and rock pools enhance the house. Rare shrubs, daffodils, bluebells, and rhododendrons bloom in season. From the grounds are beautiful views over Rydal Water and beyond to Silver How.

On the hill below the house is Dora's Field, named in memory of Wordsworth's daughter. In the springtime it is awash with daffodils. He purchased the field originally to build a house because his landlady, Lady le Fleming of Rydal Hall, was about to call in his lease on Rydal Mount. However, she relented at the last moment and allowed the Wordsworths to stay.Bluebells in Dora's Field at Rydal Mount by Tony Richards

Rydal Mount lies on the A591, 1½ miles north of Ambleside.
Tea-room
Limited free parking.
Tel. 015394 33002
Email: info@rydalmount.co.uk
Website: www.rydalmount.co.uk
Open: March–end Oct, daily, 9.30am–5pm (subject to change at any time without prior notice); Nov–Dec and Feb, Wed–Sun, 11am–4pm; tea–room, March–end Oct, 10am–4pm.

Note: Please check opening times and dates before visiting in case of changes.

Photos courtesy of Barbara Ballard and Tony Richards

Back To Historic Houses and Buildings Attractions

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us