Swarthmoor Hall

(See also Swarthmoor and Ulverston)

Swarthmoor Hall by TheButlerIn 1586 George Fell, a lawyer, built Swarthmoor Hall. His son, Judge Thomas Fell, inherited the house. He and his wife Margaret resided there from 1634. In 1652 George Fox, founder of the Quaker movement, visited the hall which was open to travellers. He found the Fells sympathetic to his cause. Thus Swarthmoor became a centre of the movement. When Judge Fell died, his widow Margaret married George Fox and Swarthmoor became an official Meeting House until 1691, after which time a new Quaker meeting house was construct nearby. It later passed through various hands until 1954 when it was sold to the Society of Friends (the Quakers).

Swarthmoor Hall by TheButlerThe Society of Friends open: year round, Tue–Fri, by guided tour at 1.30pm (lasts 45 min) and pre-arrangement at other times.

In the Grade II listed hall, visitors will see mullioned windows, oak panelling, 17th century furniture, and an interesting staircase.

Swarthmoor Hall by TheButlerSwarthmoor Hall,
Ulverston,
Cumbria LA12 0JQ
Tel: 01229 583204
Fax: 01229 583283
Email: swarthmrhall@gn.apc.org
Website: www.swarthmoorhall.co.uk

Note: Please check opening times and dates before visiting in case of changes.

Photos by TheButler

Back To Historic Houses and Buildings Attractions

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us