Eskdale Mill

(See also Boot)

Eskdale Mill courtesy of Barbara BallardEskdale Mill, in the hamlet of Boot, dates back to 1578, but milling started in the valley as early as the 12th century. The present building dates from the 18th century with more current restoration. It contains an unusual two-wheeled water corn mill, much of which is in working order. An exhibition explains the milling process and the workings of the wooden machinery. At one time the mill provided electricity for the entire valley. An old corpse road sits alongside the mill.

Boot is located on a minor road east of Ravenglass (A595).
Tel. 019467 23335
Website: www.eskdalemill.co.uk
Open: April-end Sep, Tue-Sun, 11.30am-5.30pm; may be closed on Sat – phone to check.

Note: Please check opening times and dates before visiting in case of changes.

Photo by Barbara Ballard

Back To Mill Attractions

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2019 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us