Ruskin Museum

(See also John Ruskin and Coniston)

Ruskin Museum exterior courtesy of Ruskin MuseumThe Ruskin Museum pays tribute to Coniston's most famous resident, John Ruskin, a poet/artist/writer/social reformer, who lived at ‘Brantwood’ on the shores of Coniston Water from 1872 to 1900. There is a collection of Ruskin's original paintings and prints and special folders of additional information on Ruskin available in the gallery.

Ruskin bust courtesy of Ruskin MuseumIn the museum is a portrait of Ruskin, a chronology of his life, and memorabilia of his early life. Another section holds Ruskin's collection of minerals. A separate section is devoted to W.G. Collingwood and his art.

The Coniston gallery displays a large amount of information on the town's pre-history, history, geology, the local coppermines, farming, and the linen and lace industry.

Ruskin Museum Coniston Gallery courtesy of Ruskin MuseumOn the grounds is a miniature model of Coniston village and a drystone wall that illustrates various building techniques. In 2002 there is a special exhibition ‘Ruskin, Switzerland and the Alps’.

The Ruskin Museum
Yewdale Road
Coniston
LA21 8DU
Tel. 015394 41164
Fax. 015394 41132
Open: mid Nov-mid March, Wed-Sun, 10.30am-3.30pm; March-mid Nov, daily, 10am-5.30pm.
Email: vmj@ruskinmuseum.com
Website: www.ruskinmuseum.com
Ruskin display case courtesy of Ruskin MuseumMuseum shop.

Note: Please check opening times and dates before visiting in case of changes.

Photos courtesy of Ruskin Museum

Back To Museums in Cumbria

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2018 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us