Binsey Roman Fort

(See also Bewaldeth)

Binsey Roman fort from Caermote Hill by Ann Bowker Mad About MountainsBinsey Roman fort, located on the volcanic fell of the same name, was called Arbeia by the Romans. Stationed at the fort were the soldiers who went under the name Barcari Tigriensis. The fell is now a grass covered hill 1467 feet high that provides views over the surrounding land. Wainwright thought it a particularly good view of the northern fells. On the hilltop is an ancient burial ground, found under the modern trig point.

Binsey Roman fort is located on Binsey fell, by foot off a minor road north-east of Bassenthwaite Lake and east of the A591 and Bewaldeth village.

Photo courtesy of Ann Bowker

Back to Roman Sites

Back To Visitor Attractions

© 1997 - 2019 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Index
Home
Accommodation
Countryside
Local Weather
People
Towns and Villages
Traditions
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us