Businesses in Grayrigg Towns and Villages of Cumbria


Grayrigg courtesy of Ian Britton Grayrigg is a small village with a few cottages, a church, a former vicarage, and a set of almshouses. The old village hall is named Coronation Hall. There is a primary school serving the children. The church, St John the Evangelist, was built in 1837 with a tower added in 1869. It has a stained glass window.

The village's claim to fame is that it was the birthplace of Frances Howgill, a member of the Westmoreland Seekers, St John the Evangelist courtesy of Ian Britton freefoto.comwho introduced George Fox to the group. The group was looking for guidance in their Christian faith, thus influencing George Fox to establish the Quaker movement.

There are farms in the area.

Photos courtesy of Ian Britton - FreeFoto

Grayrigg is on a minor road five miles north-east of Kendal, between the A6 and the A685.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2020 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Local Weather
Towns and Villages
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us