Businesses in Harrington Towns and Villages of Cumbria


Harrington church road courtesy Google MapsHarrington and High Harrington sit on Cumbria's west coast and are bedroom communities for Workington and Whitehaven. They are part and parcel of the same parish along with Salterbeck, a large housing estate. Views to the north present the hills of Scotland.

The harbour of Harrington, thought to take its name from the Norse Haefringtun, has a history of seafaring. The harbour was constructed in 1760 by the Curwen family for the purpose of shipping coal. Until the building of the harbour, Harrington was a quiet seaside village. By 1794 there were 60 vessels plying their trade from the port.

Harrington harbour by Alexander P KappCoal was shipped to Ireland and lime to Scotland. Ship building and rope making became important industries. Iron and steel making and magnesite works were other industries of the town up until the 1930s. Five railway stations were in use; one remains. A new industry, extracting magnesia (used in WWII) from the sea, developed, but closed down after the war's end in 1945. Today it is the windmills providing electric power that set the village apart.

Harrington St Marys by Alexander P KappThe site of St Mary's Anglican church (the sea at one time came to the foot of the hill on which it stands) has served since Norman times as a place of worship. A church on the site belonged to the abbey of St Mary, York, before the dissolution of the monasteries. In 1634 the church was rebuilt. In the early 1800s it had a new chancel added. Being found unsafe in 1884 due to no foundation, it was demolished and rebuilt in sandstone. In 1907 the square tower was rebuilt while preserving the 17th century doorway and east side of the former tower, which is Grade II listed. A tomb of Lord Harrington and his wife survived the rebuilding. There are newer stained glass windows. A font dates back to 1634.The church sits in large grounds, once a graveyard.

Harrington Methodist Chapel by Alexander P KappHarrington also has a Methodist chapel, built in 1828, and a Catholic church, also named St Mary's. Today there are shops, a pub, and a post office to serve the residents.

Harrington's name, like its purpose, has undergone changes. It was formerly spelled Haverington or Haverinqham.

Photos courtesy of Alexander P Kapp , Google Maps.

Harrington is located on a minor road from Workington A597. High Harrington is on the A595.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2019 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Local Weather
Towns and Villages
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us