Businesses in Long Marton Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Long Marton

Long Marton village street by Graeme DougalThe north Pennines look down on Long Marton. The village, once known as Merton, was owned by one family, the Veteriponts, in the 1200s. Eventually it came into the hands of Henry VIII.

Long Marton Masons Arms by Graeme DougalThe village is home to an 18th century inn. Of particular note close by is the five-arched viaduct crossing Trout beck along the Settle-Carlisle railway line.

The red sandstone church of St Margaret and St James, south of the village, dates from the 11th-12th centuries. It was restored in 1880, but Long Marton St Margarrets and St James church exterior by Graeme Dougalmuch of Norman origin survived including the nave and half of the chancel. Before the time of Christianity in the area, the site of the church was a place of Druidic worship. In the church are interesting carvings that include a dragon and winged beast. Stained glass windows are on the north wall, and in the church is a large ancient oak chest.

Long Marton village street by Graeme DougalPrivately owned Marton House gardens are set on the grounds of an 1822 home designed by the architect Ignatius Bonomi. Of special note are a Cedar of Lebanon and the UKs largest weeping copper beech tree.

Photos courtesy of Graeme Dougal

Long Marton is off the A66 north of Appleby-in-Westmorland.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2019 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Local Weather
Towns and Villages
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us