Businesses in Port Carlisle Towns and Villages of Cumbria

Port Carlisle

(See also Campfield Marsh Nature Reserve)

Port Carlisle view of Solway by Barbara BallardPort Carlisle is a small collection of buildings strung along the coastal road overlooking the Solway. This now quiet, almost deserted, area was the western terminus of the Carlisle canal, at the time called Fishers Cross. Barges carried grain and produce to feed and biscuit mills in Carlisle.

The canal building started in 1819 and opened in 1823 with 11¼ miles in use. There were eight locks, each 18 feet wide. A hotel and jetty were constructed. The canal was thriving by 1835, but by 1845 the railways had almost put paid to its use, the Lancaster and Carlisle railway being the main offender. The canal closed permanently in 1853. In 1854 the canal was filled in and a railway used the bed for its tracks. The railway closed in 1932, and a horse drawn carriage took over the transportation duties on part of the line until it, too, closed in 1914. The carriage is now at Yorks National Railway Museum.

Port Carlisle Hesket House b and b by Barbara BallardVisitors to the area can spot the old docking quay and sandstone block wall and the silted-up lock entrance. Views reach across the Solway to the coast of Scotland. Nearby is the Campfield Marsh Nature Reserve and RSPB site.

Photos by Barbara Ballard

Port Carlisle is 10 miles west of Carlisle off the B5307, on the minor coastal road.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2019 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Local Weather
Towns and Villages
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us