Businesses in Sebergham Towns and Villages of Cumbria


Sebergham Bell Bridge courtesy Steve BulmanSebergham, once called Sebergham Church Town, is a farming village strung along the river Caldew. It dates back to the 13th century when water power from mills was important. Six were built along the rivertwo of which were corn mills. A one arch bridge was built in 1772. Sebergham Bridge was a tiny hamlet on both sides of another bridge built in 1689. Today the village homes are mostly 17th century ones. There is a village hall for community meetings.

Sebergham St Marys Church courtesy Steve Bulman St Marys church, built c1820 and on the Cumbria Way walk, occupies the site of a 12th century chapel. It has a chancel, nave, and one bell tower. Sebergham Hall was north of the church. West of the village was Sebergham castle, a large farm house.

Nearby Warner Fell had a coal mine in operation in 1843. Formerly limestone was quarried in the area. Park Head Quarry is one nearby site. There are a large number of butterflies in the Sebergham area including meadow brown, small pearl-bordered fritillary, painted lady, red admiral, orange tip, and Camberwell beauty. Birds include sandpipers, gulls, doves, heron, and pheasant. Roe deer, red squirrel, and brown long-eared bats can be spotted.

Photos courtesy of Steve Bulman , Tony Richards

Sebergham is located on the B5305, south of Carlisle and south-east of Wigton.

Back To Town or Villages

© 1997 - 2019 by The Cumbria Directory. Reproduction of this work in whole or in part, including images, and reproduction in electronic media, without documented permission from The Cumbria Directory is prohibited.

Local Weather
Towns and Villages
Useful Weblinks
Visitor Attractions
Visitor Information
Contact Us